9724 West Forest Home Avenue, Hales Corners, Wisconsin 53130
|The Stahl-Conrad Homestead
consists of a farmhouse, milk house and barn.
The site, 2.3 acres, is a small portion of the original farm property
which was about 60 acres on the west side of Forest Home Avenue, extending
from Edgerton Avenue south to Ridge Road.
The farmhouse is one of the four Cream City brick buildings remaining in the Village of Hales Corners. It was built for the Hans Stahl (sometimes spelled Stoll) family about 1870. Sophia Stahl, a daughter, married Adam Conrad who was the son of Jacob Konrath (sometimes spelled Konrad). The young couple acquired the property and it was in the Conrad family until 1986.
The house has vernacular characteristics of the mid-to-late nineteenth century, such as the little segmented window heads plainly visible over the windows on the second floor. The first floor bay was added much later. Remnants of segmented window heads are barely visible on either side of the roof on the bay. The wing at the left was altered, probably about 1915 or 1920. The porch was enclosed early in the 1900s and restored in the mid 1980s.
The stone foundation of the barn can be seen in the building southwest of the house. The stone foundation walls of the eastern half of the original barn were joined to a west wall built at the midpoint of the original barn. This "new" barn is about half the size of the previous one. On the ground northwest of the existing barn, one can see the imprint of the west half of the original barn and the imprint of a silo.
[Sources (in part): Hales Corners Historical Society brochure, A Self-Guided Tour of Historic Sites in Hales Corners, Wisconsin, and book, Hales Corners Wisconsin, A History in Celebration of 150 years 1837-1987. See the Hales Corners Historical Society web site Gift Shop.]